Wednesday 4 May 2005

“…I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself…”

“…I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself…” – Genesis 3v10

Adam and Eve had fallen into sin. The subtle one had come and shown them that which was “good for food, pleasing to the eyes, and that which would make one wise.” Choosing flesh over spirit, they gave in, Eve first and then Adam. Immediately they are filled with shame and attempt to cover their newly revealed nakedness by making coverings for themselves.

Later in the day it comes time to meet with God. There hear Him coming, but hide themselves. God, of course, as seen it all. He calls out “Where are you?” God is not fooled – He is forcing them to admit that they are hiding and explain themselves. Adam responds with the words above, “I was afraid, for I was naked, and I hid myself.”

It is very easy for us to look back at Adam and Eve and condemn them for their sin, and it is deserved. Yet, I think they have a lesson for us. Sadly the world around us have no problem walking about in the nakedness of their sin, but that is not the lesson for us. How often do we walk boldly before God in out own leaf coverings? How often do we sin as children of God and never deal with it, hiding the sin in our own pride? Often we don’t even have the decency to be ashamed of our sin as Adam and Eve were, We try to hide it, thinking that maybe God can’t see it.

Of course, as children of God our sin is covered by the blood of Christ. However, when we sin as Christians we must ask forgiveness to keep our walk with God pure and right. When we try to hide our sins in our own works, we are not better than Adam and Eve. In fact, we may be worse because we are children of God and are not even ashamed of our sin!

Father, remind me today of the immensity of sin as your child. Help me to remember that I am clothed in the righteousness of Your Son through His shed blood. Give me that shame of sin that Adam and Eve had, yet the knowledge that I need not try to hide. All I need to come into your presence, admit my sin, and accept your glorious forgiveness.

No comments: