Wednesday 24 August 2005

I will not cast them away

“And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God. But I will for their sakes remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the heathen, that I might be their God: I am the LORD.” - Leviticus 26:44-45

Leviticus chapter 26 is a record of blessings and cursing based on the obedience of the people. In the days of the law and a strict legal code the rules were strictly and clearly laid out.

Among all the words of judgment we find a picture of God’s grace. “And yet, for all that…I will not cast them away, …or abhor them, … or destroy them utterly … but I will remember them.” Israel was, is, and always will be God’s people. That relationship was based on God’s grace, it is a part of His covenant, and it cannot be broken. No matter what happened God’s people would always be his people. He would judge them and correct them, but He would not abandon them.

Although the correlation is not perfect, this does remind us of God’s faithfulness to us. Once we are born again into the family of God we are His. When we step out of line He chastens us to bring about the “peaceable fruit of righteousness” but He will not abandon us. As He would not cast off His people Israel, we can be assured that when we are His, He will never leave us or forsake us.

No comments: