Tuesday 6 September 2005

I will say what God puts in my mouth

“And Balaam said unto Balak, Lo, I am come unto thee: have I now any power at all to say any thing? the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak.” - Numbers 22:38

Balaam is an interesting character to say the least. From other passages of Scripture we learn that he was at best a professional soothsayer. Some passages of Scripture indicate that he was a false prophet. Apparently he claimed the ability to speak for several gods.

Balaam had a track record. What he cursed was cursed and what he blessed was blessed. He was hired by the Moabites to go and curse Israel. At first he refused. A second invitation was sent. This time he went, but his journey was interrupted by his balking, talking donkey.

Balaam was given permission to go on, but God said that he must only speak the words of the Lord.

When Balaam got to Balak he repeated his words. “I can only speak what the Lord puts into my mouth.”

For all of his faults Balaam had one thing straight. We don’t know why or how God would use a prophet who also prophesied for false gods, but God did use him in this case.

I a professional soothsayer could see the importance of only speaking God’s words, should we not do the same. Our conversation, our teaching, and our preaching should always reflect God’s Word in our lives. To do less is to truly fail in our task.

No comments: