Wednesday 26 October 2005

The cowardice of Barak

“And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go. And she said, I will surely go with thee: notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honor; for the LORD shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. And Deborah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh.” Judges 4v8-9

Deborah was serving as judge of Israel. She is a rare example of a woman in a leadership role. She directed Barak to general the armies as they went to Kadesh. If he is typical of the male leaders of the time it is easy to see why Deborah was leading the nation. His reply to instructions – “If you go with me I will go.”

What a state that nation was in. They were so weak and fearful that even the leader of the military would not go fight unless a woman went with him! Deborah’s reply? I will go with you, but you will have no honour, for it will be known that the Lord delivered Sisera into the hands of a woman.

There are many great lessons for us in the Old Testament. The things written there are written for our learning and instruction. We may be critical of Barak for his cowardice, but how do we do when called on to serve the Lord? Do we cower in fear as Barak did? Or do we boldly go to the task set before us?

May we avoid the cowardice of Barak as we depend on the Lord for strength to serve Him.

No comments: