Sunday 6 November 2005

O Lord God remember me

“And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.” - Judges 16v28

Samson is something of an enigma. It seems that he was quite a playboy. He lusted after power, excitement, food, and women. Time after time he showed the frailties of the flesh, yet God still saw fit to use him.

Samson is an enigma to me. He never seems to really care about God or doing the right thing. Fulfilling the desires of the flesh always seems to be his focus. However, when I think about it, it becomes obvious why God used him and what lessons we can learn from his life.

Firstly, he was allowed to suffer the consequences of his sin. Eventually his fleshly choices caught up with him. He fell pray to the Philistines, was blinded and became their slave. Sin by God’s people does have consequences. God did not punish him for his sin; his punishment was the natural result of his foolish choices.

Secondly, the story is a picture of the grace of God. At the end of his life he repented and called out to God for help. He called out, “Lord, this one time remember me and strengthen me to defeat the Philistines!” God had a plan; Samson was a part of that plan. God is omniscient and He knew that Samson had a role to play in the plan. Remember that God is in control. We never know who God is going to use or how He is going to use them. He is a God of mercy; He can use anyone who will turn to Him. That being the case, I am sure He can use me.

No comments: