Friday 11 November 2005

Wherever you go I will go

“And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if aught but death part thee and me.”

- Ruth 1v16-17

This beautiful saying by Ruth is often used in wedding ceremonies. Although it may not fit perfectly in context, it does exhibit a wonderful heart of loyalty and devotion from one person to another.

Ruth was totally devoted to her mother-in-law. In spite of her problems and her feelings that God had let her down by allowing sons to die she must have had some kind of testimony of faith in Jehovah, for Ruth said “Your God will be my God.” Then she made it clear what she was talking about when she actually used the name of Jehovah in her conversation.

Naomi was such a testimony of what her God was like that she attracted her daughter-in-law to faith in Him. Being a witness to family members can be tough because they see us at all times, the good and the bad.

Both characters are to be admired here; Naomi for her acknowledgement of Jehovah that attracted Ruth to Him, and Ruth for her wonderful human devotion. This is a wonderful model of how human relations should be when we are both following the Lord.

No comments: