Sunday 15 January 2006

I will not offer a sacrifice of that which cost me nothing

“And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing. So David bought the threshingfloor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.” - 2 Samuel 24v24

After the plague was stopped David knew that he had to offer a sacrifice. He went to the home of Araunah to try and by the threshing floor and the animals for the sacrifice. Araunah tried to give the things to David but he refused. He knew that a sacrifice had to cost him something or it would not be a sacrifice.

In Romans 12v1-2 we are called upon to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. Sadly, too often Christians only want to sacrifice that which does not cost us anything. We are rarely willing to give up the things that really matter. Are we willing to give up what is costly? Will we give up our own desires and ambitions? Will we give up our plans? We will give up our children? Are we willing to give Him even that which is costly to us?

No comments: