Friday 24 February 2006

Heart matters

“I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee. O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this forever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee: And give unto Solomon my son a perfect heart, to keep thy commandments, thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to do all these things, and to build the palace, for the which I have made provision.” - 1 Chronicles 29v17-19

God always deals with the heart above all else. Here David mentions four things about. God’s dealing.

· The Lord tries the heart
· The Lord can keep the heart
· The Lord sets the heart
· The Lord can give a loyal heart

When I look at things like this I am amazed at the consistent focus that God places on the heart. I often wonder if I spend as much time as my heart as the Lord does or as much time on my heart or as much time as I do on the physical. The answer is “probably not.”

We tend to be so focused on the externals that we forget the inside. We get so busy “building our temples” that we forget about the inside of the building where the heart dwells.

Lord make me as concerned about my heart as you are.

No comments: