Friday 3 March 2006

Be not afraid or dismayed

“And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.” - 2 Chronicles 20v15

King Jehoshaphat was facing daunting task. The nations of Moab, Ammon, and Mt Seir were allied against him. Jehoshaphat took the entire nation to the Lord where they sought His leadership. At first he was afraid. In response he sought the Lord and called a fast and prayed. The Lord responded by sending these words through the prophet Jahaziel. “Be not afraid or dismayed by reason of this multitude, for the battle is not yours but the Lords.”

I first came across this verse in about 1977. I was only saved a couple of years and had just started dating my dear wife. We were separated for the summer and writing back and forth almost daily (LONG before e-mail). We tried to share some devotional thought every day.

I was going through some particular struggle, that I don’t remember now, and was checking my post office box. As usual I immediately opened Mary’s letter and saw this passage. The Lord used it immediately to remind me that the Lord was the One who would fight the battle for me.

Many times through the years the Lord has brought this passage back to my heart and mind. What battle are you looking at today? What challenge is before you? Might you do well to follow the example of Jehoshaphat? The battle is not yours, but the Lords!

No comments: