Tuesday 11 April 2006

As for me I would seek God.

“I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: Which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvelous things without number:” - Job 5v8-9

We are often critical of Job’s friends for their attacks on their friend. Not everything they said however was wrong.

After a week of silence among the three friends Job broke the silence by bemoaning the fact that he was ever born, by wishing he had been still-born, and by wishing he were already dead.

His friend Eliphaz started out by reminding Job that men were sinners and that God was a righteous God. Eliphaz had no more idea about what was going on in Job’s life than Job did.

His advice to Job was sound though – “If it were me I would seek God and commit my cause to Him. He does great, unreachable, and marvellous things.

Eliphaz’ advice may not have been just what Job needed at the moment, but it is good for us to remember. In our affliction we do well to seek the Lord, for we can’t know what great, unreachable, and marvellous thing He might be doing.

No comments: