Monday 29 May 2006

Why are you cast down?

“Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” - Psalms 42v11

How often we find ourselves in a position of being “cast down.” Paul even uses the term in 2 Corinthians 4v9 when he says that amidst all his troubles he was “cast down, but not destroyed.”

I don’t think we need to try and define what it means to be “cast down.” We have all been there and know what it can feel like to try and get back up. It is easier just to lay on the mat and wallow in self-pity that it is to get back up and get going.

David found his way out by making a conscious decision. In the psalm he did several things.

· He put his hope in God
· He chose to remember what God had done for him
· He chose to see God as the Rock who which he could cling

Indeed there is never a reason for us to be cast down when we choose to set our thoughts on things above instead of things on the earth.

No comments: