Monday 26 June 2006

I will set no wicked thing before my eyes

“I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.” - Psalms 101v3

We all know that he eyegate is a powerful access to our hearts and souls. Satan showed Eve fruit to tempt. One of the temptations we are warned about the “lust of the eyes.” Everyone has a battle with what they see.

It is obvious that we cannot always control what we see. We can however decide what we are going to look at. This is what the psalmist is talking about when he says, “I will set no wicked thing before my eyes.” In every generation there has been plenty to look at. However, it seems obvious that wickedness is much more acceptable today than it ever has been. Films, television, and the especially the internet have made wickedness available in a more obvious way than ever in history.

Long before television or the internet the psalmist had the answer – “I will set no wicked thing before my eyes.” There it is – a very simple answer to the problem. Simply don’t let any wicked thing have a place in front of you.

No deep theological truths here – simply obey God’s word.

1 comment:

Gary Wood said...

Good, very good. I love the Psalm's and Proverbs. Within in the beautiful poetry of the Psalm is the most straight forward advice,like this. Thank you.