Saturday 1 July 2006

That they may know that You have done it

“For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me. I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust. My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness. I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads. Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy: That they may know that this is thy hand; that thou, LORD, hast done it.” - Psalms 109v22-27

David was really going through it. He needed God to intervene in His life. He gave a litany about how we was feeling about life and his place in it.

I am poor and needy
My heart is wounded
I am like a declining shadow
My knees are weak
My flesh fails
I am a reproach
When people look at me they shake their heads

When David asked for deliverance though his motivation was right. He did not ask for deliverance for his own sake. His pray that God would act:

According to His mercy
So that God’s hand would be seen

He did not ask anything for himself. We have no right to question David’s heart or motivation here. He wanted God to use his own dilemma for His glory. How often do we really pray in our struggles with this kind of heart and motivation?

No comments: