Wednesday 5 July 2006

What can man do unto me

“The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?” - Psalms 118v6

Everyone likes to have the best player, the biggest guy, or the smartest guy on their side. In sports teams spend millions to get the best players. Armies train their soldiers to perform the best in battle. We know that we can have a better chance of victory when we have this kind of person on our side.

The Philistines surely though they had it made when preparing for battle against Israel. The had Goliath of Gath, all 9 ½ feet of him, the champion of champions on their side. Israel were quaking in their sandals. Fear ruled supreme in Israel’s camp.

Then a young shepherd came to bring food to his brothers. When he saw Philistine’s champion he was mystified by Israel’s fear. “God helped me to kill a lion and a bear and He will help me now.” David knew that the battle was not his, but the Lord’s. He knew that the Lord was on His side. He knew that man had no power over him.

Even today fear is a powerful force. The truth has not changed. The Lord is still on our side – we still need never fear what man can do to us. Lord I believe, help my unbelief.

1 comment:

Gary Wood said...

So let it be!