Tuesday 15 August 2006

A good name

“A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold.” - Proverbs 22v1

Everyone has priorities in their lives. Some of them are town a nice home, to have plenty of money in our bank account, to drive a fancy car, or the go on nice holidays. There is one thing that is of vital importance, something that should always top our priority list. Solomon says here that, “A good name is rather to be chosen that great riches.” In Ecclesiastes 7v1 he writes, “A good name is better than precious ointment.”

Why is a good name so important? For one thing no matter what happens to us financially or with goods our name always stays the same. It is one thing that does not have to change. A good name is something that we can leave to our children for them to decide what they are going to do with it. It is a precious gift that we can give our children.
Even more important is what a good name can do for our testimony for Christ. As a Christian my name is a reflection of what Christ has done in my life. When people hear Roger Parrow and know that I am a Christian what is their response? Lord, help me to remember that my name is a reflection of Christ in me and live so that my life is a proper, God-honouring testimony of You.

No comments: