Monday 25 September 2006

God’s right hand

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” - Isaiah 41v10

We indeed live in a scary time. The world is moving and changing at such a fast pace that nothing seems certain. Prophets of doom and gloom abound. The war on terror is making headlines on a daily basis. Immorality seems to threaten the very fibre of our culture and it seems like every day brings news revealing a new low of man’s depravity.

Judah was facing an uncertain future – God had just told them that judgement was coming to the nations all around. So God gave them words of comfort that we can take to heart today.

Don’t be afraid
Don’t be dismayed
I am your God
I will give you strength
I will help you
I will hold you up with my righteous right hand

All of these are a blessing, but I want to look at one in particular. Think of a child in an unfamiliar or scary situation. Immediately the child want to reach out to take the hand of a parent to give them courage and strength. “If mommy is holding my hand everything is going to be okay,” is the mindset. We can all identify with that, and this is the picture God gives us. His right hand is righteous and he wants to take us by the hand to lead us in tumultuous times.
There is no need to fear – we have a mighty God Who will hold us up with the right hand of His right hand of righteousness.

No comments: