Thursday 7 September 2006

I cannot abide your iniquity and solemn meetings



  • “Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.” - Isaiah 1v13-15

    The prophet Isaiah opens with a litany of sins and problems in the nation of Israel. One of the greatest, and the one God condemns in no uncertain terms, is that of hypocritical worship. The Jews had continued to have public meetings, but their hearts were not in it. They were living in sin and still acting like there were worshipping. Look at God’s response to it:

    · I cannot abide it
    · My soul hates it
    · They are a trouble to me
    · I am weary of them
    · My eyes and ears are closed to them

    God expresses the same feelings towards mixed worship in the church, saying that lukewarm ness make Him sick. We had better be certain that our worship is genuine. It is easy to put on a false front that may fool others, but we cannot fool God. Make sure that your worship is pure and genuine. How sad it is if our worship make God tired of us.

No comments: