Saturday 16 September 2006

I will be like the Most High

“For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.” - Isaiah 14v13-14

This chapter in Isaiah deals with two situations at once. It deals with the king of Babylon, but it also deals with Lucifer who is behind him. This section is probably one of the most prideful in all of scripture. Look at the “I wills” here –

I will ascend into heaven
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God
I will sit upon the mount of the congregation
I will ascend above the heights of the clouds
I will be like the Most High

At first glance we would say, “I don’t do anything like that,” but if we really think about it that may not be totally true.
What do we do anytime we think we know better than God how to deal with a situation? What about when God does not answer our prayers in a way or in a time that suits us? Are we not saying that we are smarter than God? Aren’t we saying, “I’ll take over God’s job for a while?” Are we not saying in fact, “I will be like the Most High”?

No comments: