Friday 15 September 2006

The wells of salvation

“Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.” - Isaiah 12v3

In the midst of judgement in the book of Isaiah God takes time to encourage His people with the promise of His Messiah. In that description of Messiah He gives a beautiful word picture regarding Him – “…with joy you will draw out of the waters of salvation.” If I were an artist would paint a picture of a well bubbling over with fresh, cool water. If I were a poet I would write of all the joys that come with finding a well of fresh water in a dry and barren land. But, alas, I am neither.

I think of Jesus speaking to the woman of the well of the “Living water” that He could offer her. He told here she would never have to thirst again. Not only would she never thirst, but also from this verse we find that there is joy to be found in the wells of salvation. If we are saved there is unspeakable joy in being saved, being a child of God, being daily loaded with His benefits, and being the heirs of eternal salvation.

John Peterson captures the idea beautifully in his song “Springs of Living Water.”

“I thirsted in the barren land of sin and shame,And nothing satisfying there I found;But to the blessed cross of Christ one day I came,Where springs of living water did abound.

Chorus

Drinking at the springs of living water,Happy now am I, my soul they satisfy;
Drinking at the springs of living water,O wonderful and bountiful supply.

How sweet the living water from the hills of God,It makes me glad and happy all the way;Now glory, grace and blessing mark the path I've trod,I'm shouting Hallelujah every day.

Chorus
Drinking at the springs of living water,Happy now am I, my soul they satisfy;
Drinking at the springs of living water,O wonderful and bountiful supply.

O sinner, won't you come today to Calvary?A fountain there is flowing deep and wide;
The Saviour now invites you to the water free,Where thirsting spirits can be satisfied.

Chorus
Drinking at the springs of living water,Happy now am I, my soul they satisfy;
Drinking at the springs of living water,O wonderful and bountiful supply.”

Let’s make today a day where all spend the day joyfully drawing from the wells of salvation!

No comments: