Sunday 8 October 2006

God Word does what He wants

“Have you For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” - Isaiah 55v10-11

Part of the reason we can’t understand why God does the things He does the way He does them and what He is trying to do. Sometimes we pray and witness and work and nothing seems to happen. Then we read verses like this that tell us that God’s Word is not going to return void. How does this all work out?

The key is in verse 11. God says that His word will not return void, but then it puts something of a clarifying statement – “It will accomplish that which I please and will prosper in the thing whereunto I sent it.

We tend to look at things from our point of view, not God’s. We want God to accomplish with His word what we want Him to accomplish. God says that He is going to do what He wants to do – that is what His word is going to accomplish.
In reality, that is what I want God’s word to do. I want it to do what He wants, not what I want.

No comments: