Wednesday 4 October 2006

My Saviour bore my sins

“All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.” - Isaiah 53v6

The Lord has laid on His Son the sins of Roger Parrow. That’s the only way to personalise this verse. Without any further explanation this would be an astounding fact. Look back over the verses that tell what happened to our Lord as He took my sins and yours to the cross.

“He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

What an amazing price had to be paid for he penalty of my sins! Why would He suffer being despised and rejected, carry my griefs and sorrows, be stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted? Why would He be wounded for my transgressions and be bruised for my iniquities? Why would He take my iniquity on Himself?

Because He loves me – that’s why. Because while I was still a sinner he loved me and gave His life for me. Because He is the perfect example of charity suffers long.

And yet, how do I respond to this? Too often I do despise His precious gift by dabbling with sin and playing with as though it were some cheap bauble that did not cost anything. I forget the great price that was paid and go on my merry way as though nothing had happened. If I had an expensive Waterford Crystal vase I certainly would not use it as and outdoor flowerpot. I would treasure this special item. Yet, I have the incomparable gift of the forgiveness of my sin, yet I treat as though it were nothing more than that bade flowerpot. I drag it back into the filth and mire of this world.
Lord, remind me of the price that was paid for my sin. Help me to never take it for granted or to treat it lightly my dabbling in the “petty” sins of this world. Whenever I sin, remind me of the price that was exacted for it.

No comments: