Wednesday 15 November 2006

God’s daily compassion

“This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.” - Lamentations 3v21-23

Jeremiah was pouring out, well, lamentations in the first three chapters of Lamentations. Problem after problem and sorrow after sorrow filled his mind. In the middle of chapter three he made a decision – he was going to recall some things to mind to help him stop sorrowing. What did he choose to remember? The first three things were:

It is only by God’s mercy that we are not totally consumed
It is because of His compassion that He extends this mercy
His compassions are fresh every morning

Praise God for that fact. I need His fresh compassion every morning, for often I could express myself in the words of the Puritan who said -

“I am always going into the far country,and always returning home as a prodigal,always saying, Father, forgive me,and thou art always bringing forththe best robe.”

God is always bringing forth His robe in compassion for me. I don’t understand how He can do that apart from His love. I pray that my response to His daily compassion would be that expressed by the same writer regarding the Father’s robe:

“Every morning let me wear it,every evening return in it,be married in it,be wound in death in it...”

No comments: