Thursday 23 November 2006

I am broken with their whorish heart

“And they that escape of you shall remember me among the nations whither they shall be carried captives, because I am broken with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols: and they shall loathe themselves for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations.” - Ezekiel 6v9

There is not a whole lot to say about this verse, but one little phrase sticks out and makes me think about the depth and enormity of sin. “I am broken with their whorish heart.” The New King James translates this, “I am crushed with their adulterous heart.” Either way it is obvious that sin, at least as much as we can understand it, breaks God’s heart because it is spiritual adultery. It has an impact on God because it is similar to a spouse going off into adultery.

The word “whorish” is such an ugly word – it is almost disgusting to think about rushing off into whoredom, but that is what we do when we replace our love for God with our love for the idolatry of sin.

We can never take sin lightly. I read the following recently in “The Valley of Vision” –

“Thou does not play in convincing me of sin,
Satan did not play in tempting me to it,
I do not play when I sink in deep mire,
for sin is no game, no toy, no bauble;
Let me never forget that the heinousness of sin lies
not so much in the nature of the sin committed,
as in the greatness of the Person sinned against.”
Oh God, remind me daily of how my sin affects You!

No comments: