Sunday 17 December 2006

As he did formerly

“Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did formerly.” - Daniel 6v10

This is a very special portion of scripture to me. A few years ago I received a letter, or a writing, as Daniel did, and I did not respond the way Daniel did. The next morning I read this passage of scripture and my heart was challenged.

Daniel was a true man of God. When no one could find fault with him a group of the other leaders decided that the only way to get to him was to make a law regarding God. The law forbad anyone from praying to anyone but the king, They watched Daniel to see how he would respond. Daniel did not get his back, he did not protest, he simply did what he always did before – he prayed. He just went about his own business, knowing that the death penalty could await.

How do we respond to bad news? I long for the day when I respond to bad news like Daniel did – to just go on and do what I would always do, trusting God with the result.

No comments: