Friday 19 January 2007

I hate your feast days

“I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies… But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.” - Amos 5v21,24

Over and over God makes it very clear what is important to Him when it comes to worship and our walk with Him. We tend to think He likes it when we do everything right at church, say our prayers, do all of the expected things, and accede to all the rules and rituals. When we see people like our first response is to think how spiritual they are and that they must be right with God. We can even fool ourselves into thinking this if we have it all “right.”

When all of our “religiosity” is not backed with justice and righteousness God makes it very clear how He feels – “I hate, I despise your feast days…I don’t hear your songs, etc.”
We can be so caught up in “doing it right” that we forget to really “do it right.” God says we really evidence our faith by letting justice and righteousness flow out of our lives. One of the true test of our faith is how we treat others and how we conduct our lives. “Be just with others, and do what is really ‘right’” is what really pleases God.

No comments: