Saturday 10 February 2007

Who is a God like You?

“Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy. He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.” - Micah 7v18-19

Thou hast given me to read my pardon
in the wounds of Jesus,
and my soul doth trust in him, my God incarnate,
the ground of my life, the spring of my hope.

Perhaps the Puritan writer of this thought had the end of Micah in mind when he wrote these words. Micah was overwhelmed at the goodness of God in wiping out his sins. “Who is a God like You,” he asked he tried to cop on to what God does when He forgives sin. Micah did not have the advantage of seeing how all of this would be accomplished in Christ, but he did understand the depth of God’s forgiveness.

  • He will pardon iniquity
  • He will pass over transgression
  • He will not remain angry forever
  • He will bless again
  • He will have compassion
  • He will subdue our iniquities
  • He will cast our sins in the depths of the sea

Why would He do all that – because He is a God Who delights in mercy! He delights in it so much that He sent His Son to pay the price to cover over all of our sins so that He could do all of the things Micah mentioned!

Praise the Mighty Lamb of God that my sins are cast into the very depths of the see by the blood of Christ, because my Abba Father delights in showing mercy!

No comments: