Friday 4 May 2007

Faithfulness

I have to take a break from the regular reflections today. One of my great heroes of the faith, Dr Lee Roberson, went to be with the Lord this week. Dr Roberson was the long time pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church and the founder and long time president of Tennessee Temple Schools. I attended Tennessee Temple from 1976-1983. I met Mary there and Matt and Jay were born there. These were foundation years in my family and they set a lot of the groundwork for the man I am today.

It was during this time that the Lord directed our hearts to missions. Dr Roberson and his faithfulness to do what God called him to play a large role in who I am. He was a consistent example of faithfulness and balance. He was a true Christian gentleman. I remember hearing things like,”; “everything rises and falls on leadership,”; “die to self,”; “straight down the line,” and simply “don’t quit.”

Last night I listened to a short challenge that he preached on His 97th birthday. Amazingly the message was the same, “Don’t give up…the world is full of quitters…stay at the work…don’t give up.” By the grace of God may I stay as faithful as Dr Roberson did for all those years.

Devotions today were from Matthew 17 where Jesus said that certain things don’t happen but by prayer and fasting. Praise God for using this in our lives about a year ago to teach us the important lessons about fasting and how it can draw us closer to God and His will and work.

No comments: