Sunday 27 May 2007

Why are you afraid? Where is your faith?


“And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?”

- Mark 4v40

Fear and faith do not go together. Here the disciples were on a boat together with Christ. While He slept in the bottom of the boat a great storm broke and they were petrified. In their fear they ran to Him and woke Him asking Him if he even cared that they were going to die in the storm.

Jesus woke up and first calmed the sea. Then He addressed them with words that should have broken their hearts. “Why are you afraid? Why don’t you have any faith?”

He made it clear that fear and faith are mutually exclusive. Where there is fear there is no real faith and where there is faith there is no fear. These guys had so little faith that the storm made them afraid. As one song puts it, “How can I fear? Jesus is near. He ever watches over me. Worries all cease. He gives me peace. How can I fear with Jesus?”

How do we do in the fear v. faith test? Which wins out in our lives? I know that in my life, when the storms come, Fear rules and faith fails.

May God give me faith in the storms of my own life.

No comments: