Sunday 17 June 2007

We have seen strange things today

“And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things today.” - Luke 5v26

Recently something very “strange” happened to me. I stopped to petrol and tried to put in €30 but, as usual, went over one cent. I did not like the idea of having a pocketful of change, but couldn’t find a one cent coin anywhere. I walked over to the ATM to get some cash, and right next to the keypad, much to my surprise was a one cent coin!

Now is that a big deal, a major event? Of course not, it was one of those strange things that we see happen. Coincidence, perhaps, but I felt like, at that moment, God placed that one cent coin there for me. A strange, little thing, which helped remind me of Who God is.

God has been doing strange things for a long time. This day people saw Jesus heal a man who had been lowered through a roof. Not only that, they saw Jesus proclaim that the man’s sins had been forgiven. Their response? The glorified God and stood in awe of Him.

My finding a one cent coin when I “needed” it and Jesus healing and forgiving sins are both strange things. One was minor, trivial, and perhaps insignificant. One was major, obvious, and significant. Do we allow the strange things we see to bring glory to God?

No comments: