Wednesday 27 June 2007

When he was a great way off

“And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.” - Luke 15v20

The more time goes by the more I am grateful for the story of the prodigal son. What intrigues me more and more is the role of the father in the story. To remind ourselves of the story, on of a wealthy farmer’s two sons had asked for his share of the family’s inheritance. The father granted it, and the son went out and squandered it on a wild lifestyle. When he decided to come home he must have wondered how he would be received. Surely, after all he had done, his father’s love must have changed somehow.

What he didn’t know was that his father was still waiting for him. How do we know this? We know because the father saw him when he was still “a great way off.” What did the father do? Did he respond in anger and frustration? No, when he saw his son he ran to him and hugged him, welcoming him home. The son confessed his sin and the father through a feast to welcome him back. The wandering son was home!

What does this mean to me? While God always sorrows over my sin, and at times He lovingly chastens me, all of His actions are motivated by His perfect love. When I err and go astray I can be assured that my heavenly Father waits for me in love and He is going to act in His love.

No comments: