Thursday 5 July 2007

Have mercy on me a sinner

“And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.” - Luke 18v13

This is one of those passages that always stops me short when I read it. Two men went up to pray. The Pharisee prayed based on how good he was. “I pray, I give, I fast, etc, etc.” as though he were trying to persuade God as to how good he was. One must wonder about who he is trying to convince, God or himself.

On the other hand there is a publican, who won’t even approach the Temple because he feels so unworthy. When he prays it is simple and to the point – “God be merciful to me a sinner.”

Of course in this account Jesus uses word to express heart attitudes. The Pharisee approached God on the basis of his goodness, the publican approached on the basis of his need.

Every time I approach God in prayer I need to remember that I do so on the basis of one thing – I am a sinner in need of His mercy. He doesn’t owe me anything.

No comments: