Monday 16 July 2007

He must increase

“He must increase, but I must decrease.” - John 3v30

One day some of John’s disciples came to him and told him that Jesus was a short distance away preaching and baptising. It is clear that even in the early days there was a temptation toward ministry jealousy. It looks like they wanted John to run Him off, or at least get Him to move further away.

John’s response was brilliant. First he mentioned that his only purpose was to prepare the way for Jesus anyway, they were not in competition.

He then used a phrase that should epitomise all our service for Him. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” John set a pattern for all of us. Our whole life should be about us decreasing and Jesus increasing. There is no room in our service for Christ for self-centredness or self promotion. It really is not about us. It is all about promoting Jesus. My goal should be that when people see me they actually see Jesus in me.

My whole life should be about me decreasing and Jesus increasing.

No comments: