Tuesday 31 July 2007

I am the Light of the World

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” - John 8v12

I have recently learned a new song by Christ Tomlin called, “Here I am to worship.” The song starts with these lyrics:

Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness.
Opened my eyes, let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

It really summarises some of what Jesus meant when He said, “I am the light of the world…” An older song puts it this way; “The whole world was lost in the darkness of sin, the Light of the World is Jesus.”

Darkness is the perfect description of a world without Christ. Darkness is discouraging, discomfiting, and disorientating. Light is comforting. It gives us direction and it opens paths. It reveals a pathway where we don’t know how to walk. The Bible tells us that the wicked walk in darkness and they don’t know at what they stumble.

Into that darkness God sent His Son, the Light of the World. There is no need to walk in darkness; we already have the Light of the World. Those around us need the Light that we have. We too are called lights in this world. Does our light truly reflect the Light of the World to those around us?

No comments: