Saturday 4 August 2007

Before Abraham was, I am

“Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.” - John 8v58

“Who is this Jesus?” This question must have been on the hearts and minds of the people of Israel, Judea, Samaria, Capernaum, and all the regions round about. Was He a rabble-rouser? Was He going to lead Israel to a great military victory over their Roman oppressors? Was He simply a new Rabbi? Could He possibly be the promised Messiah? Was He a false teacher? Or was He simply a religious lunatic of some sort?

In a discussion with the Pharisees He answered all those questions with two short words. “Before Abraham…I AM.” Amazingly, in the presence of the Pharisees He claimed to be God Himself. His words prompted anger and they wanted Him stoned. In their minds He was now a blasphemer.

What does it mean to us? It means that the creator and sustainer of the universe is my Saviour and Friend. It means that the God Who spoke to Moses in the burning bush is alive today and living in me.

There is nothing in life that is going to be doing difficult for the great I AM to handle.

No comments: