Friday 24 August 2007

Ultimate love

“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” - John 15v12-13

Over and over again the topic of loving each other comes up as Jesus teaches the disciples. He says things like, “if you love me keep my commandments,” and “you are my friends if you do what I command you,” so it is clear that the evidence of us loving Him is our willingness to keep His commandments.

Time was running out on Jesus’ earthy ministry when He said “This is my commandment.” How that must have caught their attention! “Here it is, here is the test of whether or not you are my friends. Love each other like I have loved you.” Okay, we can do that, they might have said. After all they were no less self-centred than we are. They surely thought that it could not be too hard to love each other like Jesus loved.

Then He followed up with a description – greater love has no man than this, that a man lays down his life for his friends.” What is the ultimate test of love? Ultimately it comes down to a willingness to lay down our lives for each other. How do we know if we have that kind of love? I think a small measure is what we are willing to do. How doe we respond when we have a chance to do something? How are we when we are asked to run an errand, help out with a move, give someone a lift that is out of our way, or help with a task that is distasteful Often we do those things, but what is the heart behind it? Only we know that. Are we willing to lat down our lives for our friends? Let’s make it a little easier, how willing would we be to clean our friend’s toilets?

No comments: