Saturday 29 September 2007

I believe

“Then Philip said, ‘If you believe with all your heart, you may.’ And he answered and said, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’” - Acts 8v37

I love the simplicity of the gospel. The eunuch was trying to figure out a passage from Isaiah. Philip cut right to the chase and simply preached Jesus. He must have talked about baptism, because when they approached the water in the oasis the eunuch said, “Here is some water, can I be baptised?” Philip’s response was simple enough – “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” No works, no religion, nothing – just “if you believe with all your heart you may.” An interested note is that belief had to precede his baptism, but that is for a later time.

The key here is the simplicity – believe with all your heart. The eunuch’s words were the most precious that he could have said, “I believe that Jesus is the Son of God.” Simple words of simple heart felt faith.

God’s love is so amazing. All He wants is simple faith in Him. Praise God it is so easy that a famous Ethiopian leader and a poor blind beggar can both me saved my simple faith in Christ.

No comments: