Tuesday 4 September 2007

Rabbi

“Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.” - John 20v16

Perhaps this little phrase only caught my eye because I am a teacher, and have been most of my life. I love the concept of a teacher/student relationship. I can think back, and may not remember the names, but remember the impact that so many teachers have had in my life. I remember as a child, and later as an adult reading the book and seeing the film, “Good Morning Miss Dove.” Miss Dove is a teacher in a small town who had taught generations of the townsfolk. When she became ill her impact on the town became clear. As teacher she had impacted the town in so very many ways. Her life affected everyone in Liberty Hill.

I thought of this when I read the passage today and saw the very first thing that Mary called Jesus when she realised Who He was. There were many wonderful title she could have used; Master, Saviour, Messiah. Lord, etc. and all of these are real important and worthy titles. But, she called Him, “Teacher.”

Miss Dove was a fictional character in a fictional town in a fictional story. Jesus is real, He is the Teachers amongst teachers. Human teachers impact lives and society, but Jesus was the one Teacher who can change the world. He not only taught, but He paid the price for all our sins. Miss Dove made a personal sacrifice to pay her father’s debts. Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice to pay for all of our sin debts. Students came from all over the show their respect for Miss Dove. Do I live my life in such a way that I show honour and respect for my Teacher?

No comments: