Friday 26 October 2007

But at midnight

“But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.” - Act 16:25

I wish I was a songwriter. I wish I was a poet. I wish I was a writer. Hey, I wish I was a proper blogger. If I were any of those I would do something titled “But at midnight” to tell the story of Acts 16v25.

This has always been one of my very favourite mental images. Paul and Silas were going about their own business when a series of unfortunate events resulted in their false arrest. They received “many stripes” and were thrown in jail. Word must have been out about what happened when these Christians went to jail because they took extra security measures by putting on guards and putting them in stocks. From what I have read stocks did not change a whole lot over the years. The stocks I saw in the Tower of London were wooden and they held both hands and feet. I imagine that the first century stocks were similar.

I have never been to a first century prison, but two of my children have. The typical prison of the time was simply a carved out place or underground cave. The only access was through a hole in the roof. The oubliette (French for “to forget”) was a similar prison used in the Middle Ages. They were cold, dark, and damp.

So, the setting in this – Paul and Silas, have been arrested on false charges, beaten many times, clasped in stocks and thrown in a windowless, dark, dirty cell with no chance of escape.

Now, put yourself in their situation. What would you do? I think I would have just cried in my misery. How much worse could it get?

Now we get back to the phrase, “…but at midnight.” What happened at midnight in this cold dark place? Paul and Silas were praying and singing and the other prisoners were listening to them! I can imagine them sitting there, with their hands and feet in prison just singing out a song like “Amazing Grace.”

What a challenge to my heart. I whinge, cry, and complain over all kinds of trivial things, yet these guys were in a situation I will never be in. May I learn to pray and rejoice no matter where I find myself.

No comments: