Wednesday 31 October 2007

He showed them from the scriptures

“And when he desired to cross to Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him; and when he arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace; for he vigorously refuted the Jews publicly, showing from the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ.” Act 18v27-28

I really like some of the “minor characters” of the scriptures. Although, to some of my close associates calling Apollos a minor character would be an offence since they think he wrote Hebrews. (Poor attempt at humour J )

Anyway, Apollos was a devout Jew who was doing all he could do to worship and serve God. But he didn’t have the full truth yet – he had been baptised by John, but that was all he knew. Aquila and Priscilla heard him preaching and went to him to help him put the final pieces of the puzzle together. Apollos was saved and baptised then and he immediately began preaching that Jesus is the Christ.

Apollos went to Achaia where he was a great help to the disciples there. I think the reason he was a great help is key for us – he refuted Jews which was great, but it how he refuted the Jews that is an example for us. Apollos was effective because he showed them from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

I find myself too often trying to reason my way when dealing with people. I can be, dare I say it, afraid to bring the Bible into it for fear of putting people off. We need to remember that nothing replaces the word of God in showing them that Jesus is the Christ – the way the truth and the life.

No comments: