Tuesday 9 October 2007

They were first called Christians

“And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.” Act 11v26

The early believers were called a few things in the early days. They were called “Galileans” and “Nazarenes” because they followed the Galilean or the Nazarene. Nazarene would be a derisive title because of the saying, “can any good thing come out of Nazareth?” In one place Luke referred to them as “the Way.” So, what to call this group?

In Antioch a new name appeared. It was here that they were first called Christian. Antioch had a large Greek population so they had no problem using the name for Messiah that no Jews would have used. Perhaps it was used in derision. Perhaps it was just a description. There is some indication that it may have been a name they accepted and adopted. Either way, the new name stuck.

:”Christianos” is a simple word. It just means “follower of Christ,: or “of the party of Christ.” It is an appellation which remains today. The question is though, “Does it fit?” Does the name Christian describe my life? Do the words I speak, the places I go, the spirit I manifest, the attitude I take toward others, my responses to challenges, or the way I treat people reflect that fact that I am of His party?

Things we are called are not always

No comments: