Saturday 17 November 2007

When Paul saw them

"And from there, when the brethren heard about us, they came to meet us as far as Appii Forum and Three Inns. When Paul saw them, he thanked God and took courage.” - Act 28v15

I like other places.. I may not like getting there, but I do like learning about other places. I like seeing the tourist areas, I like seeing everyday life, and I like trying other foods. What I really enjoy though is when I can meet with local Christians. There is always a blessing in such meetings and fellowship.

As we know by now Paul had not had a pleasant journey. As they finally journeyed the last mile up the famous Appian Way the Christians of the area heard of His approach. It is amazing even that there were Christians here before Paul got there “officially.” God’s word has an amazing power. There were Christians in at least two places – Appii Forum and The Three Taverns. They were already aware of who Paul was and the cam out to meet him.

Think about how Paul must have felt. He had a terrible journey, he has been in a storm, been hungry, been in a shipwreck, and bitten by a snake. He saw believers coming to greet him. No wonder the scripture records that he “thanked God and took courage.”

What an amazing joy to see believers in other places. It reminds us of the immenseness and universality of the family of God. As these Christians encouraged Paul on his travels may we always be looking for the opportunity to encourage our family wherever and whenever we meet.

No comments: