Tuesday 4 December 2007

Glory in tribulations

“And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” - Romans 5v3-5

I have to admit straight up that in my mind tribulation and glorying do not go hand in hand. I don’t rejoice when trials and tribulations come. I wish I could say that I glory when the trials come because of a stand for Christ, but even then I don’t like them. I don’t like the feeling in my stomach, I don’t like the thoughts constantly going through my head, I don’t like the sleepless nights. I just don’t like troubles.

Paul was a man just like me. He suffered the normal tribulations of life and he suffered great tribulation because he took a stand for Christ. The difference with Paul though was the foresight matched his hindsight. Both were 20/20. I can look back and no beyond a shadow of a doubt that my tribulations of the past have made me a better man. They have indeed produced perseverance, which produced character, which in turn has produced hope. My hindsight on trials is 20/20.

My problem comes when is to comes to trials and tribulations today. Now I doubt and wonder if these can really produce the same for the future. What is missing? One word – faith.

Oh for the faith rejoices in trials of the present as well as the trials of the past.

No comments: