Saturday 8 December 2007

Reckon yourselves

“Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” - Romans 6v11

Why, if I am free from the law and free from the power of sin, if sin has no dominion over me, if I am not its slave, do I am so much trouble with it?

This passage reads real easy, but it just doesn’t seem to be real, does it. “I am not a slave of sin? Sin has no power over me? Yeah rite!”

Okay, then what is the problem? Praise God He does leave us clueless. Paul says this – “Reckon yourselves to be dead to sin.” In other words, take an inventory of the facts, check out the records, realise that you are dead to sin, and then live accordingly. When I allow sin to be my master it is because I don’t really trust my new master. Either that or I just haven’t really figured it out yet.

This is a step of faith. When sin rears it ugly head do I understand how much God hates sin? Have I really done a reckoning and realised that it has now power. Or does something in me want to excuse it?

When sin appears, we simply must understand that it has no power! This is one of those things that we just have to do. It is up to us to decide who will have the mastery.

No comments: