Sunday 2 December 2007

Where is boasting?

“Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.” - Romans 3v27-28

Can’t you imagine the scene in heaven? “You should have seen me down there guys. I was the best. God was sure lucky to have me on earth. I went to church every single time the doors were open. I tithed, sometimes I even double tithed. I went knocking on doors. I used the right version, wore the right clothes and listened to the right music. All my kids went into the ministry. The church I pastored was massive. You should have seen it- fancy chandeliers, plush carpets, gold plated fixtures in the toilets. We had a Family Centre, a gym, and even a bookstore! We opened a Christian Coffee Café so we didn’t have to get out into that dirty ld world any more than we had to. We were in all the magazines! Man, I really did it for God!”

A little exaggerated? Maybe, but what would it be like if we could work our own way to heaven? What if it were contingent our all the good stuff we had done? Who would get the glory?

Praise God boasting is excluded! Praise the Lamb of God for all eternity that I am justified by faith apart from the deeds of the Law!

“Boasting excluded, pride I abase, I am only a wicked sinner saved by His amazing, marvellous grace!”

No comments: