Monday 28 January 2008

The foolish things of the world

“But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;” – 1 Corinthians 1v27

At first glance we may find God’s way of restoring man to Him as ironic. Does it not seem that the way to do it today world be perhaps some of kind of massive spiritual computer hack that flashed

“WARNING: TURN OR BURN.

Lovingly,

God”

Maybe He could emblazon the message across the night sky like some kind of spiritual aurora borealis. If not by some kind of direct divine message perhaps He could use the richest, the most powerful, and he most influential people alive to share the gospel. Surely their influence would turn many to Him.

But no. God has used what the world sees as a foolish message. So “foolish” in fact that one modern, supposedly evangelical writer, as called it “cosmic child abuse.” What message is that? We saw it yesterday; it is the message of the cross.

But not only is the message “foolish” in the world’s eyes, but the tools God uses are also foolish. Instead of using the wise, the mighty, and the noble God has chosen to use the foolish, the weak, the base, the useless, the unknowns, the nobodies. Why would God do that? Why would He use everyday people like you and me? I have been saved almost 34 years. In all that time I have not met any spiritual superstars. Sadly, most of those who appeared to be such have since fallen by the wayside. Who have I seen God use? It almost seems like the more base, the more foolish, and the weaker the servant the more they accomplish. That doesn’t make any sense, does it?

Well, not any more sense in our eyes than the “foolishness of the cross.” But in God’s eyes it makes perfect sense. If I were tall, dark and handsome, an excellent orator, a noted author, had a beautiful singing voice, skilled with people, loaded with money and possession, from a fine background, able to move crowds with my persuasiveness, and had the wisdom of Solomon and succeeded for the Lord who would I credit with my success? I think the answer is clear – I could take the credit.

But what happens when God uses a short, chubby, balding, middle aged chap who can’t play an instrument or sing his way out of a paper bag? What happens when God uses a man whose flesh rages inside him? What happens when God uses that man who is not eloquent in his speech, who blows it over and over, who makes mistakes and sometimes knowingly and willingly acts in the flesh? What happens when that kind of foolish, base, and weak individual even see one person come to repentance? What happens when that man is allowed to see God work? In that case there is no doubt Who gets the glory.

I praise God that He uses foolish tools to present His “foolish” message to the world. Otherwise, what hope would the vast majority of us have?

4 comments:

Scott Bandy said...

"Praise God" for using the foolish tools like myself! HALLELUJAH! that was a blessing friend!

Landon

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I was feeling down about having answered poorly at an interview today and God brought to memory that verse. I had forgotten where it was so I googled and found your article. God does amazing things in ways we least expect. I realise it's a year since this was posted but I have been totally blessed.

Grace

Naas Preacher said...

I am glad God was able to use it Grace. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hello there,

Thanks for this message. Now I still do believe that there are well known people who spread the love of God to others. Anyhow, what I wanted to tay is that, God works in a mysterious way. You know, when most people see me, they see a naive girl who behaves differently. They say they wonder whether I shall survive this life. They tell me thet I do not know life and that I shall not make it in some places. They say that I am just a baby.

Well, I tried explaining to them that God knows it all and will give us strength to face whatever for He is the all knowing but they do not seem to understand. Well, sometimes I just keep quiet, think things over and laugh to myself. All I know is that God is and will use me to do great things all for His glory. The world may look at me and laugh and wonder where I am headed. I will look back at them and just smile and have pity on them, for only if they opened their hearts and minds and knew how wonderful and great our God is, they would understand; they would leave all and follow HIM. AMEN. AMEN. AMEN.