Monday 14 January 2008

Sharing weakness

“We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” - Romans 15v1

Somehow, in many parts of the church we have developed an attitude where we have little time for weakness. I think that we men tend to have a really hard time with this especially. When someone is struggling with a weakness we want to say things like, “Suck it up man,” “Get over it,” “Deal with it.” Toughness has almost become some kind of mark of spirituality. Christian men in some circles can strive for a “Rambo for Jesus” mentality.

As we come to Romans 15 we see a challenge, at least it was a challenge to my heart. What do I do when I see someone struggling with a weakness? Do I attack them, tell them to “get over it,” or condemn them? Not according to this passage. Those who have a level of spiritual maturity and strength, according to this passage, are to come alongside those who struggle with weakness and help them to carry that load. In their weakness we are to forget about pleasing ourselves and bear that weakness with them.

Taking it a step further we are to strive to please others, not ourselves. Most of what I do sadly is to please me. When that happens I get it totally backwards. My thought should always be for them, not what is “fair” for me.

How far do we take it? Verse three tells us, Jesus did not please Himself when He went to the cross. He bore our sins on His shoulders. He forsook His own pleasure to die on the cross.

How far am I willing to go to help bear the weaknesses of the weak? Praise God that Jesus was willing to carry my weakness to the cross. How can I measure up to that standard? I can’t. obviously, but I can strive to please others instead of myself.

1 comment:

Scott Bandy said...

Thanks for the challenge!