Monday 25 February 2008

Do all to the glory of God

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. – 1 Corinthians 10v31

Why do we do what we do? What do we make the choices we make? Why do we say the things we say and respond the way we respond? I know for myself many, or perhaps indeed most of time, my motivation is less than the best. I often make choices that will further my agenda, promote my viewpoint, vindicate my reasoning, or prove my point. I can do things just to prove my liberty, or even take revenge on one who differs.

After all the talk about liberty, conscience, and offences Paul summarise his argument very simply; “Listen, if you are eating or drinking, in fact no matter what you are doing, do it to glorify God.”

Now there is our measuring rod, there is our canon. As I look back over the last week I must consider, “How did my choices and my actions measure up to this rule of thumb?”

God’s glory must be first and foremost in my mind. There really is no room for my own agenda.

No comments: