Thursday 28 February 2008

The same God

And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.

- 1 Corinthians 12v6

For a lot of my life I practiced a kind of separation that bordered on exclusivism. I was so separate that if someone did not do things exactly the way I would I was quick to criticise and attack them. In retrospect I now know that much of that was based on what made me feel good about myself.

Before I go on let me add a disclaimer here. I am in no way talking about ignoring unbiblical teaching or promotion of error. I am not talking about a “Ya’ll come” kind of ecumenism. Please, just bear with me.

On Sunday I became aware of the fact that the other evangelical churches in the area are going through some struggles. None of them would do things the exact way we are. I could probably only attend one of them if we did not have a church here. Yet, these are churches who preach the word of God and who have a desire to see people in our area brought to Christ.

Since Sunday I have been mulling these things over, as I have, to my embarrassment, prayed for these works for the first time. Then, I read this morning, “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same spirit. There are different kinds of ministries, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of activities, but one God who works all in all.”

I realise that Paul is talking to a local church, but I think there is a principle we can apply. God does not use every one in the exact same way. We all have different gifts, different abilities, different ways to minister, and different activities that we do, but at the end of the day there is still just one Spirit, one Lord, and one God.

We have a common work to do and a common enemy to fight. Might we consider moving the differences in gifts, ministries, and activities to the back seat and get on with the primary work?

No comments: