Thursday 13 March 2008

Always abounding


Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. – 1 Corinthians 15v58

As I look back over the last 8-10 years of ministry I have to say that I have not always abounded in the work. The last couple of weeks had been one of those occasions where “abounding” was not the descriptive word.

I have to say that, by God’s grace alone, I can find the strength in Him to plod along and stay steadfast. I am stubborn and sometimes foolish enough that I can be unmoveable. It is the “abounding” bit that gets me.

Why is that? I think there are many answers, but just a couple some to mind this morning. 1) Sometimes I am so busy with Roger’s work and even Roger’s play that I am not even doing God’s work, much less abounding in it. (Ouch, that was hard to type) 2) Sometimes, and I hope and trust most of the times when I am not abounding, I forget the very end of the passage – “knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”

I can get to the point where I am not trusting God’s promise that our work for Him is not in vain. It is always going to accomplish His purpose. When am not abounding in the work of the Lord I am failing to honour Him and trust His word.

I am not so sure now that the trench is where God wants us for the long run. We may have to dig in, get some rest, meet with the Commander, check on the battle plans, and encourage of fellow soldiers. But at the end of the day, we need to move forward, go over the top, and always be abounding in His work. It will never be in vain.

2 comments:

Scott Bandy said...

Let's go!

Landon

Candi said...

You are bang on! I think we get in trouble too when we aren't honest about our own hearts - to use your analogy: we don't take that time to regroup, to meet with the Commander, to seek encouragement from our fellow soldiers. We just keep on pushing IN OUR OWN STRENGTH rather than admitting that as always we need His grace to do any good thing. Once again, Andrew Peterson expresses this need that we all have to honestly regroup:

"Give us hearts to find hope/ Father, we cannot see/How the sorrow we feel can bring freedom/ And as hard as we try, Lord, it's hard to believe/So, give us hearts to find hope.../Give us faith to be strong/Give us strength to be faithful/This life is not long, but it's hard/Give us grace to go on/Make us willing and able/Lord, give us faith to be strong."
Give us peace when we're torn
Give us faith, faith to be strong."

And Chris Rice has some thoughts on the subject too:
"Sometimes the way is lonely/And steep and filled with pain/So if your sky is dark and pours the rain...then/Cry to Jesus...and live!"
"O, and when the love spills over/and music fills the night/And when you can't contain your joy inside...then/Dance for Jesus...and live!"
One follows the other. We see our need. In disbelief we keep on keeping on or in FAITH we seek Him more. After the faith comes the Dance!