Sunday 27 April 2008

For your edification

Again, do you think that we excuse ourselves to you? We speak before God in Christ. But we do all things, beloved, for your edification. – 2 Corinthians 12v19

Ouch! Heart check time on this couch in Naas.

Paul has written page after page of papyrus (or vellum, I’m not quite sure) to the believers in Corinth who had seemingly become so sanctimonious after they dealt with the sinning man in the first letter that they had become harsh and judgemental, Not even Paul met up to their new standards and they flung all kinds of false accusation at him and his ministry.

I read what he wrote and wonder how I have responded in the past. I normally have one response in mind – to exonerate myself and sort them out for being critical of me. I have done the right thing, many times, by contacting them. But most of the time the purpose in my heart of hearts has been to clear my name and let them know that what they said was false.

How did Paul handle it? He did contact his accusers, but his motive was not to clear his name, but to edify them. I think I get a glimpse this by one situation that came up recently. A supporting pastor wrote me to tell me that they were dropping my support, but his reasoning was full of lies and false charges. My first response was my normal one; I wanted to get back at him. But God worked on my heart and I can say that honestly my last contact with him was a letter written out of concern for him. I don’t know how a man can stand in his pulpit and preach after bearing such false witness. My motivation in writing my last letter was not to exonerate myself; I knew the truth in my heart, but I wanted to help him see his error. I wanted him to realise what he had done so that he will be able to minister to his people.

Does that make me a spiritual giant? By no means. My natural response is to attack when attacked. My job however is to seek to edify when attacked.

May I always seek to edify others, not exonerate my name when these things arise.

No comments: